What you consume has a big impact on your mood . Do you think that there are foods that can help you tackle your mood swings? Well! yes there are foods that can help in overcoming depression, feel happier and these foods are healthy too.
You really need to stick to right diet plan and exercise daily to ward off blues.
“The science behind food’s effect on happiness is based on evidence that dietary changes can bring about changes in our brain chemistry – altering the hormones responsible for controlling our mood”
The key to eating towards happiness is to have enough of the right mood lifting foods, at regular intervals – and avoiding ones that science suggests can make you feel low.
Acquaboost Fruit Infuser Water Bottle – 1 Litre Full Length Infuser Rod, Stainless Steel Shaker ball, Insulated sleeve, Leak Proof and Anti- Sweat Design, BPA Free and Premium Tritan Material, Detox Water Bottle with Free 101 Infused Water Recipes at Amazon.in
Here’s the list of some of the food that releases endorphin and is closely related to mood swings and considerably makes you feel happier.
1. Dark Chocolates (Only Two Squares) :Chocolate contains high quantities of phenols, antioxidants which boost mood, but it also contains large amounts of fat and sugar and so piles on the calories. So chocolate is best saved for an occasional treat when you are really down in the dumps.
2. Bananas : Bananas are rich in potassium, which is a vital mineral for nerve function. The natural sugars in bananas are released quickly into the bloodstream, making you feel energetic. This fruit contains plenty of starchy carbohydrate, which sustains your good mood. It also acts as an antibiotic and strengthen the stomach lining against acids.
3. Nuts/Walnuts: Rich in B vitamins, proteins and selenium, a mineral which has been shown to have positive mood-influencing properties.
4. Sesame seeds : A good source of protein, antioxidant vitamin E and calcium. High source of fat but its largely unsaturated and therefore good for us as long as it is eaten in moderate amounts.
5. Strawberries : Rich source of vitamin C, helps in the production of endorphins and aid the absorption of iron. They are also a good source of potassium, which helps in the generation of nerve impulses.Flavonoids are powerful antioxidants, which help rid the body of harmful toxins.
Other Foods on the list that will help your spirits soar :
8. French Bread
11. Sesame seeds
12. Salmon, trout, sardines , Oysters, mussels and other oily fish
13. Barley, quinoa and bulgur
14. Free-range eggs
15. Broccoli, kale, watercress, rocket and spinach
16. Free-range chicken
17. Green beans, peas and sweetcorn
18. Cocoa with cinnamon and low-fat milk
19. Brown rice and grainy bread
Whatever you consume must be consumed in moderate amount.
• Eat frequent small meals and snacks throughout the day.
• Eat nutrient-dense foods such as fruits, vegetables, and nuts.
• Promote healthy gut function by eating foods containing prebiotics (such as asparagus, dandelion greens, bananas, and garlic).
• Eat more foods (such as fish, walnuts, flaxseeds, and leafy green vegetables) that contain healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Reduce your consumption of omega-6 fatty acids, which are found in corn, soybean, safflower, and canola oils.
• Eat organic foods whenever possible, to reduce your exposure to toxins and oxidative stress.
Last but not the least, try eating atleast two of this natural mood enhancer food on a daily basis.
a. Bananas – as already mentioned above it definitely play a major role in relieving anxiety and stress.
b. Spinach – good source of vitamin B6 and folate, rich in iron a great energy booster that wards off fatigue and aids concentration.
c. Eggs – great source of zinc, which helps you to feel more alert and energised by regulating your metabolism and blood sugar levels
d. Oily Fish – Fishes rich in omega-3 fatty acids which help the brain to interpret moods and boost concentration levels
e. Tofu – rich in protein, which increases energy levels and improves concentration. It also contains an amino acid called tyrosine, which boosts the brain chemicals norepinephrine and dopamine as well as thyroid hormone, which can all help elevate mood.
f. Sweet potatoes
i. Brazil nuts
You really are what you eat, that’s why Eat yourself Happy and Stay Happy 🙂